Protect against Employee Lawsuits with Employment Practices Insurance
If you have employees, you need to have employment practices liability insurance. From the moment you interview a potential new hire, the risk of discrimination increases. Unless you have an extensive legal team helping you develop an employee handbook and assist with other potential employment issues, you may not understand what you are facing if a claim arises.
Your team depends on you to provide a safe working environment and a great work culture. One wrong hire and all of that can be in jeopardy so it’s vital that all bases are covered when hiring and firing an employee. Experienced brokerages know that small businesses need extra help with employment claims. Our nationwide network of brokers can work with you to review your current coverage and suggest the best employment practices policies for your needs at great rates.
Claims Covered by Employment Practices Liability Insurance
Imagine the costs associated with an employment practice-related claim. Without the right protection, you face potential problems from:
- Wrongful Termination
- Workplace Harassment
- Sexual Harassment
- Violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Wrongful Discipline
- Unlawful Failure to Promote
- Invasion of Privacy
Suggestions to Lower Your Liability Risk
Prevention is paramount to reducing your employment practices liability risks. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Talk with your agent to ensure you have the right amount of coverage.
- Create an employee handbook that gives details on company policies and procedures.
- Develop job descriptions for each position that lists expectations of skills and performance.
- Give periodic performance reviews and take good notes for the employee’s file.
- Make sure your employment application includes an equal employment opportunity statement and makes it very clear that employment is “at-will.” This means it can be terminated at any time for any reason.
- Conduct background checks.
- Develop a record-keeping system to document and track issues as they occur and how they were resolved.
- Get additional training for understanding employment practices and the law.
Seek Specialized Help from a Trustworthy Brokerage
Avoid claims and lowered morale when you have solid policies in place, including hiring, disciplining, and termination practices. If a complaint of discrimination does occur, having the right coverage and a team of experienced brokers helps. Get the support you need by speaking to our staff. We know what it takes to keep you safely protected, so your reputation and business stay intact. We are happy to talk with you, assess your risks and needs, and tailor a policy unique to your requirements. When you contact our countrywide network of brokers today, you will experience quick response times and exceptional customer service.
Request a quote for employment practices liability insurance coverage or call and speak with a professional and experienced broker on our team. We have a 24/7 call center to serve you and an online Live Chat operator.