When you think of an umbrella policy, you may think of a type of coverage that envelops all your other policies, no matter what. That is not necessarily the case. Consider this comparison: when you use an umbrella to keep the rain off of you, it only works when you stay under the fabric. The moment you step out of the provided protection, you feel the effects of the precipitation. In other words, you will get wet. Once a claim steps out of a covered event, your insurance may not provide protection.
Make the best use of your existing policies when you add commercial umbrella insurance to your business strategy. The experienced brokers at the Business Insurance Center are happy to sit down with you and assess your needs for obtaining the most comprehensive coverage. Protect your company and talk with us today.
What Policies Does a Commercial Umbrella Insurance Cover
Commercial umbrella insurance covers quite a few underlying policies. Here are just a few:
- General Liability protects claims from property damage, personal injury, or bodily injury that happen during the course of business.
- Commercial Auto covers claims from a collision, or property and bodily damage from employees who cause accidents while operating company vehicles.
- Employer Liability comes into play if an employee sues for a covered event such as wrongful termination or a work-related injury or disease.
- Professional Liability is often referred to as Errors and Omissions Insurance (E&O) which protects from mistakes that can occur during the ordinary course of professional operations.
Where Commercial Umbrella Insurance Fills in the Gaps
There are many gaps where a commercial umbrella policy can fill in, such as:
- Possible personal injury cases not explicitly covered under an existing plan
- Lawsuits and legal fees that are not connected to an existing policy but are still business-related
- Rental services that are taken outside of a policy that is already in place
What Commercial Umbrella Insurance will NOT Step in to Cover
An umbrella policy is a powerful tool in your toolbox; however, it does have some limitations, including:
- Punitive damages awarded by a court. This is a form of punishment and will not be covered.
- Personal liability claims. Only professional claims are covered. A commercial policy will not include personal liability suits.
Plug Any Coverage Holes with a Commercial Umbrella Insurance Policy
Ensure that all areas of your business are protected when you obtained a commercial umbrella policy. The experienced brokers at the Business Insurance Center work with many industries and insurance companies to get you the best plan for your needs. We will design a tailored insurance package for your enterprise’s requirements just as we have done for others for more than 30 years. Let us help you today.
Request a quote for commercial umbrella insurance or call and speak with a knowledgeable and experienced broker at the Business Insurance Center. We have a 24/7 call center to serve you and an online Live Chat operator. We serve the entire United States.