Help from the Experience Brokers at the Business Insurance Center
As grocery store owners, you recognize the importance of keeping your floors clear, clean, and dry. The last thing you want is for a customer or an employee to fall and get injured. It takes diligence to stay on top of spills or extreme weather that gets tracked in. There is one other area you may not pay as much detailed attention to, and that is your parking lot. For some parts of the country, snow and ice cause problems. Across the country, store owners should be aware of other hazards that could result in injuries and potential lawsuits.
Avoid unnecessary liability claims when you take steps to reduce parking lot accidents. Ensure you have the right coverage; speak to a knowledgeable broker with the Business Insurance Center. We can discuss your needs and develop a tailored grocery store insurance program specific to you.
Parking Lot Hazards to Look for, that Cause Trips, Falls, and Accidents
Ideally, you should take a regular audit of your parking lot to see what kind of condition it is in. Here are a few things you should be on the lookout for:
- Uneven surfaces including potholes
- Maintenance hole covers, drain grates, or tire stops that are damaged
- Leaks and spills from engine oil or antifreeze
- Downspouts that drain into your parking lot
- Speed bumps
- Bad weather conditions
Any of these can cause a customer or employee to lose their footing and fall.
Steps to Prevent Parking Lot Accidents
Take a proactive approach to the safety of those entering and exiting your property. Here are some steps to instill into your regular property maintenance:
- Repair any potholes or uneven surfaces as soon as you notice them
- Buy and use parking lot pothole markers to warn others
- Mark all tire stops, steps, ramps, and speed bumps with contrasting colored paint
- Route downspouts away from your building and parking lot
- Utilize slip-resistant outdoor paint
- Place speed bumps away from pedestrian traffic
- Make sure your lot has good outdoor lighting
- Keep your lot free of trash and debris
- Place garbage cans in safe and strategic areas
- Check and clean clogged drain grates
- Use textured strips on any wooden steps
- Have handrails for steps
- Spread sand or salt before icy conditions hit
- Remove snow from all walkways and keep a close eye out for refreezing
Protect Your Livelihood with a Comprehensive Grocery Store Insurance Program
Mitigate loss from personal injury or property damage from accidents in your parking lot when you take steps to keep it free of debris and in good repair. A knowledgeable broker from the Business Insurance Center stands ready to discuss your unique needs and provide you options to lessen your risk. We offer protection for your property, loss of income, spoilage coverage, equipment breakdown, and other policy types. Give us a call today and rest easier.
Request a quote for a grocery store insurance policy or call and speak with a knowledgeable and experienced broker at the Business Insurance Center. We have a 24/7 call center to serve you and an online Live Chat operator. We serve the entire United States.